Why should we call on the intercession of Saint Joseph? Here are six powerful quotes from the saints explaining why!
Saint Joseph was the chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary and earthly father of Jesus Christ. He is patron of the Universal Church, Terror of Demons, and a model of family life.
Devotion to this incredible saint spread even before Pope Leo XIII dedicated an entire encyclical in his honor. (See: Quamquam Pluries by Pope Leo XIII). More recently, he’s grown in popularity thanks to Pope Francis declaring 2022 as the Year of Saint Joseph.
Numerous saints are known for their individual devotion to the holy patriarch.
Here are six saint quotes explaining Saint Joseph’s powerful heavenly intercession:
1) “Make him [St. Joseph] the patron of your family and you will soon have tangible proof of his protecting hand.”
– St. Peter Julian Eymard
2) “What could Jesus Christ refuse St. Joseph, who never refused him anything during his mortal life on earth?”
3) “Nothing will be refused him [St. Joseph], neither by Our Lady nor by his glorious son.”
– St. Francis de Sales
4) “Saint Joseph, our father and lord, is a teacher of the interior life. Place yourself under his patronage and you’ll feel the effectiveness of his power.”
– St. Josemaría Escrivá
5) “Saint Joseph is most powerful against the demons which fight against us at the end of our lives.”
—St. Alphonsus de Liguori
6) “I have never known a person to have been truly devoted to St. Joseph and to have rendered him special honor without seeing him advance rapidly in virtue; because the holy patriarch assists with special care those who recommend themselves to him…”
– St. Teresa of Avila
Here’s the Memorare to St. Joseph:
Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that anyone who implored your help
and sought your intercession were left unassisted.
Full of confidence in your power,
I fly unto you and beg your protection.
Despise not O Guardian of the Redeemer
my humble supplication,
but in your bounty, hear and answer me.