Blessed Carlo Acutis is an Italian Catholic teenager known for his love for the Eucharist and extraordinary path to holiness.
He lived from May 3, 1991, to Oct. 12, 2006.
Carlo Acutis is unique because he was familiar with modern-day cultural difficulties and opportunities. His story is considered very relatable, especially among young people.
His short life has had a lasting impact on the Church.
During his beatification, Pope Francis referred to Blessed Carlo as a model of holiness in the digital age.
According to Catholic News Agency,
“During the beatification Mass, Acutis' parents processed behind a relic of their son's heart which was placed near the altar. An apostolic letter from Pope Francis was read aloud in which the pope declared that Carlo Acutis' feast will take place each year on Oct. 12, the anniversary of his death in Milan in 2006.”
Here are eight things you may not know about Blessed Carlo Acutis:
1. Carlo Acutis was born in London but raised in Milan.
2. Although his parents were not especially devout, Carlo developed a love for the Rosary and the Mass from a young age. His witness of faith led to his mother’s conversion.
3. He loved to play sports and video games. He enjoyed things like Pokemon and Super Mario!
4. As a programmer, he built a website promoting Eucharistic miracles.
5. He was passionate about using media and technology to spread the Gospel.
6. Carlo was diagnosed with Leukemia as a teenager. He offered his suffering to the Lord for the Pope and the Church.
7. He requested to be buried in Assisi due to his love for Saint Francis of Assisi.
8. Carlo was beatified by Pope Francis on Oct. 10, 2020, and is the first millennial to be beatified.
Here is a prayer for the canonization of Blessed Carlo Acutis:
Oh God, Our Father,
thank you for giving us Carlo,
a life example for the young
and a message of love for everyone.
You made him become enamored with
Your Son Jesus, making the Eucharist
his “Highway to Heaven.”
You gave him Mary, as a most loving Mother,
and, with the Rosary, you made him
a poet of her tenderness. Receive his prayer for us.
Above all, gaze upon the poor,
whom he loved and helped.
Grant for me too, by his intercession,
the grace that I need...
(mention your request here)
And make our joy fulfilled,
placing Carlo among the saints
of your Church, so that his smile
may shine again for us in the glory of your name.
Pater, Ave, Gloria
(“Our Father”, “Hail Mary”, “Glory Be”)
You can find more information on the miracle attributed to his intercession here.