Beer and other alcoholic drinks are commended in the Bible (e.g. Psalm 104.15). Jesus turned water into wine as the “first of his signs.” (John 2.11) And some of the best beer in the world is still made by monks.
So here are 6 great Catholic quotes on this wonderful gift from God:
1) “From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.”
Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of Brewers
2) “In Catholicism, the pint, the pipe, and the Cross can all fit together.”
3) “I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. / I would like to be watching Heaven’s family drinking it through all eternity.”
St. Brigid of Ireland
4) “Beer makes you sleep easy. Easy sleep makes you not sin. Not sinning gets you into heaven. Amen.”
Anonymous German monk
5) “It is my design to die in the brew-house; let ale be placed to my mouth when I am expiring so that when the choir of angels come they may say: ‘Be God propitious to this drinker.’”
6) “No animal ever invented anything as bad as drunkenness – or as good as drink.”
[See also: Behold, the Official Catholic Blessing for Beer]
Do you love ChurchPOP?
Get our inspiring content delivered to your inbox - FREE!
As part of this free service you may receive occasional offers from us at EWTN News and EWTN. We won't rent or sell your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.